The Shocking Statistics of Sleep Apnea
Sleep apnea is a common disorder characterized by one or more pauses in breathing or shallow breathing while you sleep. This occurs when the airway is restricted and the brain signals you to wake up due to a lack of oxygen. Like many sleep disorders, sleep apnea can continue for months or years before it is effectively diagnosed and treated.
Unfortunately, if left untreated, sleep apnea can lead to poor sleep quality and risks to your overall health. If you have a bed partner that snores loudly and wakes up gasping for air several times throughout the night, you may want to share the following shocking statistics about sleep apnea:
- About 22 million Americans have sleep apnea.
- African Americans are more at risk of sleep apnea than Caucasians.
- 1 in 4 middle-aged men has OSA (Obstructive Sleep Apnea).
- 26% of people aged between 30 and 70 suffer from sleep apnea.
- At least 2–3% of children suffer from sleep apnea.
- 1 in 4 people with moderate sleep apnea won’t even experience daytime sleepiness.
- People with sleep apnea are four times more likely to have a stroke.
- Over 38,000 people die from cardiovascular problems caused by sleep apnea every year.
- The total annual economic cost of sleep apnea in the US is between $65 and $165 billion.
- 80% of people with moderate and severe OSA go undiagnosed.
How Can a Dentist Treat Sleep Apnea?
While a CPAP machine is the most widely used treatment for sleep apnea, not everyone is able to tolerate this bulky machine in bed. You may be surprised to learn that a dentist can offer effective sleep apnea and snoring relief too. Dr. Wayne Suway offers custom oral appliances that can successfully open your airway during sleep and treat your snoring and sleep apnea episodes. By just wearing this simple mouthpiece each night, you can get better quality of sleep and lower your risk for cardiovascular issues, stroke and chronic fatigue.
To learn more about how we can treat your sleep apnea in Marietta, please call Dr. Wayne Suway.
Posted on behalf of
1820 The Exchange SE, #600
Atlanta, GA 30339
Phone: (770) 953-1752
FAX: (770) 953-6470Mon - Thu: 8:30 AM – 5:30 PM
Closed for lunch: 12:30 PM - 1:30 PM