The fast-paced life that most Americans live leaves little time to ensure that they are consuming all of the major food groups, let alone taking in necessary vitamins that the body needs to be healthy. While it is always important to talk with your primary care physician before starting any sort of supplement regimen, these vitamins are known for promoting healthy teeth and gums.
- Calcium – Calcium is a necessary component for healthy bones and teeth. The risk of gum disease and tooth decay becomes elevated when the body does not have adequate amounts of calcium. The jaw bone supports the teeth – both of which are primarily made of calcium. Being deficient in this vitamin can lead to jaw bone deterioration and tooth loss. Dairy products and calcium chews provide an easy way to acquire adequate amounts of calcium in your diet.
- Vitamin A – A deficiency in Vitamin A can cause a direct effect in the decline of your gum health. The mucous membrane and tissues around the gums is maintained by Vitamin A. This vitamin is also necessary for aiding in the healing of inflamed gum tissues. Therefore, not only does Vitamin A maintain gum health, but it also helps heal the gums when they are unwell.
- Vitamin B – Receding gums, recurrent tooth aches, and oral sensitivity are often linked to a deficiency in Vitamin B. B vitamins are easily found in meats and fish. Those who are vegetarians or who do not regularly eat meat often find that they have a difficult time consuming enough Vitamin B.
- Vitamin C – Vitamin C is well known for its immunity properties. Taking Vitamin C at the onset of a cold or the flu can ward off serious infection. This vitamin can also ward off infections that are damaging to your oral health.
- Vitamin D – A deficiency in Vitamin D inhibits the absorption of calcium. With calcium being a necessary component to the jaw bone and teeth, being deficient in Vitamin D can contribute to tooth loss. Dry mouth, a burning sensation in the mouth, and a metallic taste are all common symptoms of a Vitamin D deficiency. Safe sun exposure is the best way for your body to get this essential vitamin.
If your diet is not up to par at supplying your body with necessary vitamins, it is time to talk to your physician about adding supplements to your daily routine. Dr. Wayne Suway wants to help promote proper oral health every way we can.
1820 The Exchange SE, Suite 600
Atlanta, GA 30339
Phone: (770) 953-1752